San Francisco to Moscow Walk for Peace
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Overview CNVA was one of the first American peace groups to focus on nonviolentdirect action including civil disobedience. Its purpose of organizing imaginative and dramatic protest demonstrations on both land and sea attracted radical pacifists and called the attention of the American public to the atrocities of nuclear warfare. CNVA's first protest action was a vigil held outside the atomic weapons test grounds in Las Vegas, Nevada, in 1957. In the second half of its existence CNVA efforts began to...
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Gwyn, Robert J.
Collection includes extensive information about the San Francisco to Moscow Walk for Peace (1960-1961), including material from a dismounted scrapbook; also includes three folders about the Committee of Correspondence (New York).
Dates: Majority of material found within 1960-
Overview Bradford Lyttle is a long time leading peace activist involved in the promotion of nonviolence for social change and the elimination of war and nuclear weapons. Lyttle was the organizer of the San Francisco to Moscow walk in the 1960-1961, to highlight the message of disarmament and nonviolent resistance and bringing together U.S. and Soviet citizens together during the height of the Cold War. He went on to organize and participate in other marches and protests, including the Quebec - ...
- Antinuclear movement -- United States -- History -- Sources 2
- Nonviolence -- History -- Sources 2
- Peace movements -- United States -- History -- Sources 2
- Antinuclear movement -- History -- Sources 1
- Atomic bomb -- Testing -- History -- Sources 1
- Conscientious objection -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Direct action -- History -- Sources 1
- Disarmament -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Government, Resistance to -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Pacifists -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Peace movements -- History -- Sources 1
- Prisoners' writings, American 1
- Quakers -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Soviet Union -- Foreign relations -- United States 1
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Soviet Union 1
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Protest movements -- United States -- Sources 1
- War tax resistance -- United States 1
- War tax resistance -- United States -- History -- Sources 1 ∧ less