Witherspoon, Frances, 1886-1973
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract David McReynolds (1929-2018), was an activist with the War Resisters League, the Socialist Party USA and the Democratic Socialists of America. He was an editor of Liberation magazine in the 1950s and a leader of the WRL from the 1950s until his retirement in 1999. McReynolds ran for Congress twice and for President of the U.S. twice, including a run in 2000. McReynolds has attempted to integrate anti-war and pacifist philosophy with Socialist economics. David McReynolds was openly gay and...
Dates: 1943 - Date
Abstract Holdings in Tamiment Library: about half the records of the New York Bureau of Legal Advice consist of case histories pertaining to selective service exemption, draft evasion, conscientious objector status, military imprisonment, military discharge, desertion, amnesty, civil liberties and deportations. One third of the collection consists of office files, administrative reports and correspondence, including extensive fundraising correspondence. The remainder of the collection is made up of...
Overview The War Resisters League is a pacifist organization whose members are against all war. Witnessing the establishment of the War Resisters' International in Europe in 1921, and sensing a need for a similar organization in the United States, Dr. Jessie Wallace Hughan established the War Resisters League as an independent organization. The War Resisters League membership pledge, which has remained essentially unchanged since its inception, reads: "The War Resisters League affirms that war is a...
- Subject: Conscientious objection -- United States -- History -- Sources X
- Civil disobedience -- United States -- History -- Sources 2
- Pacifists -- United States -- History -- Sources 2
- Peace movements -- United States -- History -- Sources 2
- Amnesty -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Civil disobedience 1
- Civil rights -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Conscientious objection 1
- Draft resisters -- New York (State) -- History -- Sources 1
- Draft resisters -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Legal aid -- New York (State) -- History -- Sources 1
- Nonviolence -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Pacifism 1
- Pacifism -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Peace -- Societies, etc. 1
- Peace -- Societies, etc. -- History -- Sources 1
- Political prisoners -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Conscientious objectors -- United States -- Sources 1 ∧ less