Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Civil Defense Protest Committee
Collection includes meeting minutes, correspondence, legal documents, pamphlets, publicity materials, and newspaper clippings; the bulk of the collection is from 1955.
Dates: Majority of material found within 1955-1962
Abstract David McReynolds (1929-2018), was an activist with the War Resisters League, the Socialist Party USA and the Democratic Socialists of America. He was an editor of Liberation magazine in the 1950s and a leader of the WRL from the 1950s until his retirement in 1999. McReynolds ran for Congress twice and for President of the U.S. twice, including a run in 2000. McReynolds has attempted to integrate anti-war and pacifist philosophy with Socialist economics. David McReynolds was openly gay and...
Dates: 1943 - Date
Overview The War Resisters League is a pacifist organization whose members are against all war. Witnessing the establishment of the War Resisters' International in Europe in 1921, and sensing a need for a similar organization in the United States, Dr. Jessie Wallace Hughan established the War Resisters League as an independent organization. The War Resisters League membership pledge, which has remained essentially unchanged since its inception, reads: "The War Resisters League affirms that war is a...
- Subject: Peace movements -- United States -- History -- Sources X
- Civil disobedience -- United States -- History -- Sources 2
- Conscientious objection -- United States -- History -- Sources 2
- Antinuclear movement -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Civil defense -- New York (State) -- New York -- History -- Sources 1
- Civil disobedience 1
- Conscientious objection 1
- Nonviolence -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Pacifism 1
- Pacifism -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Peace -- Societies, etc. 1
- Peace -- Societies, etc. -- History -- Sources 1
- Peace movements -- New York (State) -- New York -- History -- Sources 1 ∧ less