Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The roots of the NCCO began shortly after conscription in WWII was instituted. Little is known about the New York Office of the NCCO. It was headquartered at 31 Union Square West in New York City (NY) where the ACLU had its offices, and was likely set up in 1940, under the chairmanship of Norman Angell, and stayed in existence through 1945. In Washington (DC), the Temporary Committee for Legal Aid to Conscientious Objectors was formed in 1940. R. Boland Brooks had gone to NSBRO (National...
Abstract The Metropolitan Board for Conscientious Objectors was a non-sectarian, free advisory service for conscientious objectors to war and military service. The MBCO was set up to provide counseling and legal aid in metropolitan New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut and established by the United Pacifist Committee in 1940. The group disbanded in 1980.
Overview Norman Jehiel Whitney (1891-1967) was a Quaker teacher, writer and devoted peace worker. From 1919-1957 he helped establish, and directed for many years, the Syracuse Peace Council. He left Syracuse in 1957 to work for the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) in peace education. Whitney's major peace work was in the area of counseling conscientious objectors to war (COs), particularly those in Civilian Public Service (CPS) camps. In 1941 he helped establish the New York State Board for...