Deming, Barbara, 1917-1984
- Existence: 1917 - 1984
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Overview CNVA was one of the first American peace groups to focus on nonviolentdirect action including civil disobedience. Its purpose of organizing imaginative and dramatic protest demonstrations on both land and sea attracted radical pacifists and called the attention of the American public to the atrocities of nuclear warfare. CNVA's first protest action was a vigil held outside the atomic weapons test grounds in Las Vegas, Nevada, in 1957. In the second half of its existence CNVA efforts began to...
Overview Bradford Lyttle is a long time leading peace activist involved in the promotion of nonviolence for social change and the elimination of war and nuclear weapons. Lyttle was the organizer of the San Francisco to Moscow walk in the 1960-1961, to highlight the message of disarmament and nonviolent resistance and bringing together U.S. and Soviet citizens together during the height of the Cold War. He went on to organize and participate in other marches and protests, including the Quebec - ...
Abstract David McReynolds (1929-2018), was an activist with the War Resisters League, the Socialist Party USA and the Democratic Socialists of America. He was an editor of Liberation magazine in the 1950s and a leader of the WRL from the 1950s until his retirement in 1999. McReynolds ran for Congress twice and for President of the U.S. twice, including a run in 2000. McReynolds has attempted to integrate anti-war and pacifist philosophy with Socialist economics. David McReynolds was openly gay and...
- Subject: Peace movements -- United States -- History -- Sources X
- Antinuclear movement -- United States -- History -- Sources 2
- Conscientious objection -- United States -- History -- Sources 2
- Nonviolence -- History -- Sources 2
- Pacifists -- United States -- History -- Sources 2
- Atomic bomb -- Testing -- History -- Sources 1
- Civil disobedience -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Direct action -- History -- Sources 1
- Disarmament -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Government, Resistance to -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Nonviolence -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Prisoners' writings, American 1
- Quakers -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Protest movements -- United States -- Sources 1
- War tax resistance -- United States 1
- War tax resistance -- United States -- History -- Sources 1 ∧ less