Tolles, Frederick Barnes, 1915-1975
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Contains the records of American Friends Service Committee, Committee on Rights of Conscience, 1955-1962, including minutes and other supporting documents. Persons represented include Faith Bissell, Miriam E. Brailey, Harrop Freeman, Frederick Fuges, Alan Howe, Mary Knowles, Patrick M. Malin, Roland Pennock, Sara Pickus, Harry B. Sprogell, Frederick B. Tolles, and John T. Watkins.
This collection primarily includes correspondence related to Frederick Tolles' article "Emerson and Quakerism" and to Henry Cadbury's article " Quakerism in Friedrichstadt.". Correspondents include Frederick Tolles, Bliss Perry, R.L. Rusk, Jessie Carter, and others.
Friends Historical Association is an organization that promotes research and publication on topics in Quaker history. Membership and editorial offices are located at Swarthmore and Haverford Colleges. Minutes of the organization after 1964 are at Haverford College.
Frederick Barnes Tolles (1915-1975), Quaker librarian, teacher, and historian, was Director of Friends Historical Library from 1951-1970, and a member of the Department of History at Swarthmore College. This collection contains the papers of primarily relating to his books and articles on Quaker history and biography, along with other writings, including research notes on a proposed history of Swarthmore College.
This collection contains a bound volume of manuscript essays by early English Quaker John Whiting, most written during his imprisonment for failing to pay tithes. These essays include accounts of his confinement, testimonies on tiths, and accounts of Mary Whiting and of William Penn. Also included is typescript of a 1955 article written for the Journal of the Friends Historical Society by Frederick B. Tolles which describes the contents and significance of the volume.
- Universities and colleges -- Pennsylvania 2
- American periodicals -- Pennsylvania 1
- Conscientious objection -- United States 1
- Historic buildings -- Pennsylvania 1
- Historic buildings -- Pennsylvania -- Bucks County 1
- Historic sites -- Pennsylvania -- Bucks County 1
- Pennsylvania -- Periodicals 1
- Quaker church buildings -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quaker women -- Biography 1
- Quakers -- Germany 1
- Quakers -- History 1
- Quakers -- History -- Periodicals 1
- Quakers -- History -- Societies, etc. 1
- Quakers -- Oregon 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Persecutions 1
- Quakers -- United States 1
- Schools -- Pennsylvania 1
- Societies -- Pennsylvania 1
- Societies -- Pennsylvania -- Haverford 1
- Society of Friends -- England 1
- Society of Friends -- History -- Periodicals 1
- Society of Friends -- History -- Societies, etc. 1
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania 1
- Society of Friends -- Societies, etc. 1
- Society of Friends -- Sufferings 1
- Society of Friends -- United States 1
- United States -- History -- Colonial period -- ca. 1600-1775 1
- Universities and colleges -- Pennsylvania -- Haverford 1
- Universities and colleges -- Pennsylvania -- Swarthmore 1
- criticism 1 ∧ less