SFHL/SHS. Swarthmore Historical Society
Found in 24 Collections and/or Records:
Barbara Bernhardt was raised in the Borough of Swarthmore, Pa., and attended the local public schools from elementary through high school. She saved many of her workbooks and papers. They provide a perspective into the coursework and standards of mid-twentieth century public education in Pennsylvania.
Friendly Open House was a senior citizens group founded in 1949 in Swarthmore, Pa., under the name "Older Persons Open House." In 1951, the name was changed to Friendly Open House. The group met in the Swarthmore Presbyterian Church with financial support from other local churches and organizations. The purpose was to provide stimulating programs and offer various activities and projects. The final meeting was in May 1996. An women's all-volunteer Sponsor Committee organized the program.
The League of Women Voters was established in 1920 as a nonpartison organization to promote political responsibility through informed and active participation in government. The Swarthmore Branch was founded in 1948 and in 2006 merged with the League of Women Voters, Central Delaware County. The collection contains minutes, financial reports, publications, and miscellaneous papers of the League of Women Voters of Swarthmore, Pa.
Contains the script, slides, VHS tape, and DVD generated from Dave Narbeth's 1975 presentation on the history of Swarthmore Borough, Pa.
The Swarthmore Historical Society was founded in 1988, and its collections are deposited in Friends Historical Library. The Memorabilia Collection is composed of objects donated by Swarthmore residents, largely athletic and business items/