SFHL/SCA. Swarthmore College Archives
Found in 140 Collections and/or Records:
This small collection consists of the records dated from 1930 to about 1940 of the Swarthmore College Glee Club, an auditioned, all-male vocal group. Includes correspondence involving performances at various venues, financial papers, a sampling of notices detailing rehearsal and meeting times, trip itineraries, group rosters, and a number of official concert programs.
The first Swarthmore College yearbook, Halcyon was published in 1883. It has appeared annually nearly every year since. This small collection contains an advertising accounts book, receipt and expenditures journal, and banking records, 1924-1925.
The Scientific Society of Swarthmore College was organized in 1880. In 1895, it was renamed the Joseph Leidy Scientific Society. The organization was open to students, faculty and staff as well as local residents of the Borough of Swarthmore. Its mission was to keep abreast of developments in science. The collection contains the constitution, a published paper read before the Society, and a book of minutes, 1902-1915.
This collection consists of primarily published materials, 1891-1933, relating to Kappa Alpha Theta, Alpha Beta Chapter, the first sorority to maintain a chapter at Swarthmore College. The Chapter was established in 1891 and laid down in 1933 when the College abolished sororities. Included are national publications of the fraternity, directories of Swarthmore chapter alumnae; an initiation certificate; and a photograph album.
Kappa Sigma Pi was the Pi Chapter of the national fraternity Kappa Sigma until 1962 when it was suspended on charges of "attempting to involve other chapters in organizing to defy some of the Kappa Sigma basic principles." The local folded in 1971 due to low membership and financial debt. This small collection contains material pertaining to its last years.