Ezekiel Cleaver family papers
This collection includes the correspondence and miscellaneous papers of a Quaker family concerning the Hicksite/Orthodox controversy in Ohio, conditions of everyday life in Virginia and the Midwest, and observations on slavery and the use of tobacco. Also included is an account of Cleaver family births and deaths, 1729-1895.
- Cleaver, Ezekiel, 1757-1832 (Person)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for research use.
Biographical / Historical
Ezekiel and Ellis were sons of Ezekiel and Mary Lewis Cleaver of Gwynedd Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends) in Pennsylvania. The former married Abigail Richards in 1787 after moving to Crooked Run in Virginia; he and his family subsequently received a certificate of removal to Westland in 1801 and settled in Warren County, Ohio.
.1 Linear Feet (.1 linear feet (20 items.))
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Thomas and Elizabeth Foulke. Method of acquisition--Gift of.
- Cleaver family -- : Genealogy
- Ohio -- Description and travel
- Ohio Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends : 1813-1828)
- Ohio Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1828-1854)
- Ohio Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Hicksite : 1828-1921)
- Quakers -- Ohio
- Quakers -- Virginia
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation
- Virginia -- Description and travel
- Description rules
- Archives, Personal Papers, And Manuscripts (Appm)
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA