Richard Price correspondence with John Watson
Richard Price's letters to fellow Hicksite Quaker John Watson provide a rich account of the Hicksite-Orthodox Separation with references and comments on many of the personalities involved: Elias Hicks, William Wharton, Jonathan Evans, as well as visiting Quaker ministers including George Truman, Lucretia Mott, Ann Jones, Mary and Susan Cox, and Martha Smith. Price also wrote a detailed account of the Proceedings of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, 1848. The collection contains a small number of other correspondents including Benjamin Hanna who described the split in Ohio Yearly Meeting.
- 1826-1867-1826-1848 (bulk)
- Price, Richard, 1794-1865 (Person)
Language of Material
Materials are in English.
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for research use.
Biographical / Historical
Richard Price (1794-1865) was Philadelphia merchant and served on Philadelphia City Council. An active member of Philadelphia Monthly Meeting, he was a supporter of Elias Hicks and many Quaker concerns. His friend John Watson (1774-1864) was a land surveyor and businessman and served as an Elder of Buckingham Monthly Meeting in Bucks County. Both closely followed and were involved in the events of the Hicksite-Orthodox Separation in the Society of Friends.
.1 Linear Feet (.1 linear feet (12 folders.))
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Method of acquisition--Purchase; Date of acquisition--2015.
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends
- Hanna, Benjamin, 1779-1853
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends
- Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia
- Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia (Hicksite)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1827-1955)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library
- Price, Richard, 1794-1865
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania
- Quakers -- Social life and customs
- Society of Friends -- Correspondence
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation
- Society of Friends -- Schisms and separations
- Society of Friends -- United States -- History -- 19th century
- Watson, John, 1774-1864
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA