Ozone Club Photographs
Scope and Contents
The collection contains various group and individual photos as well as courses played. The collection contains two photograph albums and loose materials in folders and sleeves.
- 1900 - 2003
- Ozone Golf Club (Organization)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
The Club was founded by Walter P. Stokes, Walter Smedley, and James G. Biddle as an afternoon of golf once a month with Quaker friends. The success of the group spawned additional social golfing clubs - the Divotee (1921) whose first president was D. Robert Yarnall, then the Niblick Club, first president Benjamin S. Thorp, and a woman's group, the Hit or Miss Club. The groups mingled Hicksite and Orthodox Friends, but membership was largely Hicksite. In the early years, there was a close relationship with the meeting for worship in Atlantic City and the hotels and golf courses located there. Until the 1970s, a requirement was membership in Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, but gradually the requirement was loosened to include persons with "friendly connection."
A popular annual event was the match between the Ozone and Divotees Clubs formally began in 1955.
.71 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donor: Ozone Club, Acc. 2003.003. Donor: Smedley family, 2018.055
Photographs were separated from RG4-055 (Ozone Club Records).
- Ozone Club Photographs
- Alison Sielaff
- February 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA