Central American Historical Institute Records
Primarily reference files on Central America in the 1980s; most material is about El Salvador, Guatemala and Nicaragua; in English and Spanish.
- Majority of material found within 1980-1993
- Central American Historical Institute (Organization)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
This collection is stored off-site. Please contact Peace Collection staff at firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance of a visit to discuss retrieval of off-site materials.
Biographical / Historical
Central American Historical Institute (CAHI); established in 1982 as an independent educational and research center based at Georgetown University in Washington D.C.; affiliated with the Instituto Historica Centroamericano, a 25 year-old documentation center of the Jesuits of Central America; worked in Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, and Panama; ceased operation around 1993.
12.5 Linear Feet (25 boxes (estimated at 6" each))
Other Finding Aids
For the catalog record for this collection and to find materials on similar topics, search the library catalog record.
Copyright to the Central American Historical Institute records created by the organization has been transferred to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Copyright to all other materials is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
View finding aid online: https://www.swarthmore.edu/library/peace/DG151-175/dg174caha.htm
- Catholic Church -- : 20th century -- : Central America
- Central America -- Foreign relations -- United States -- 1979- -- Sources
- Central America -- History -- Sources
- Central America -- Military relations -- United States
- Central America -- Politics and government -- 1979- -- Sources
- Central American Historical Institute
- Church and social problems -- Central America -- History -- 20th century -- Sources
- Counterrevolutionaries -- Central America -- History -- Sources
- Counterrevolutionaries -- Guatemala -- History -- Sources
- Counterrevolutionaries -- Nicaragua -- History -- Sources
- El Salvador -- Politics and government -- 1979-1992 -- Sources
- Guatemala -- Politics and government -- 1985- -- Sources
- Human rights -- Central America -- History -- Sources
- Jesuits -- : 20th century -- : Central America
- Nicaragua -- Politics and government -- 1979-1990 -- Sources
- Peace movements -- Central America -- History -- Sources
- Peace movements -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Social conflict -- Central America -- History -- 20th century -- Sources
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Central America
- United States -- Military relations -- Central America
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US