Skip to main content

Hutterian Brethren Collected Records

 Collection
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Hutterian Brethren

Scope and Contents

Includes printed materials: letters, catalogs, and pamphlets.

Dates

  • 1955-1985

Language of Materials

Materials in English.

Limitations on Accessing the Collection

None.

Copyright and Rights Information

None.

Historical note

A Christian communal organization of Anabaptists founded in Germany in 1920 by Eberhard and Emmy Arnold; persecuted and expelled from Germany by Hitler, they migrated to England in 1936? and to Paraguay in 1940; in 1954 a branch community was begun in the U.S.; in 1961, that group moved to the U.S.; absorbed the Macedonia Cooperative Community in 1957; changed name from Society of Brothers to Hutterian Society of Brothers in 1978; changed name to Hutterian Brethren in 1984; also known as the Bruderhof; communities are also located in Canada; members are pacifist, refuse military service, and do not hold public office or swear oaths.

Extent

0.08 Linear Feet (1 folder)

Custodial History

The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for these papers/records.

Source

Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Find It at the Library

Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library

Contact:
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US
610-328-8557
610-328-8544 (Fax)