Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
The biography of Joshua Longstreth Baily, written by Alfred Baily, includes a brief history of the Baily family, and is largely comprised of extracts of Joshua Baily's letters.
This collection is comprised of Joshua Baily's notes on the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, as well as various Quarterly meetings. The collection includes Baily's original handwritten notes, a volume of typed notes compiled later, and related materials, such as letters and extracts of sermons.
Joshua Longstreth Baily (1826-1916) was a Quaker merchant in the dry goods business, and was involved in African American causes, peace issues, and temperance. Volume 1 contains extracts organized by topics such as: benevolence, courage, doing for Jesus, fear, forgiveness, honesty, lying, missionaries, prayer, resignation, and truthfulness. Volume 2 contains extracts of essays on literature and copied poems.
The papers of Joshua Longstreth Baily (1826-1916), a Philadelphia Quaker merchant, include his correspondence, speeches, notebooks and articles on topics relating to peace, penal reform, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and contributions to African American causes.
A collection relating to the work of anti-slavery advocate and worker, Nathaniel Peabody Rogers, and the circle of others involved, including John Greenleaf Whittier, William Lloyd Garrison and Susan B. Anthony. There are a number of issues of the Herald of Freedom of which Rogers was the editor.
- Names: Baily, Joshua L. (Joshua Longstreth), 1826-1916 X
- Quakers 4
- Quakers -- History 4
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 2
- Temperance 2
- Abolitionists -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Antislavery movements -- United States 1
- Literature 1
- Prison reformers 1
- Prisons -- Missions and charities -- United States 1
- Prisons -- United States 1
- Quakers -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- account books 1
- biographies (documents) 1
- commonplace books 1
- diaries 1
- financial records 1
- genealogies (histories) 1
- letters (correspondence) 1 ∧ less
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library 2
- Anthony, Susan B. (Susan Brownell) 1
- Baily, Theodate Lang 1
- Garrison, William Lloyd, 1805-1879 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- Hopper, Isaac T. (Isaac Tatem), 1771-1852 1
- Kansas Freedmen's Relief Association 1
- Lloyd family 1
- Pease, Elizabeth 1
- Philadelphia Society for the Employment and Instruction of the Poor 1
- Pillsbury, Parker 1
- Rogers, Nathaniel Peabody 1
- Whittier, John Greenleaf, 1807-1892 1
- Wistar, Thomas 1 ∧ less