Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Overview Contains the papers of the Elkinton Family, a Quaker family of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and its vicinity. Joseph Elkinton was born in Salem, New Jersey, in 1794 and settled in Philadelphia where he established a soap manufacturing business which eventually became the Philadelphia Quartz Company. He was involved with the Seneca Indians at the Quaker school at Tunesassa (Quaker Bridge), New York, where his oldest son, Joseph Scotton Elkinton, was born in 1830. The latter was a Quaker...
Dates: ca. 1736-2002
Overview This collection includes information about multiple generations of the Elkinton and Waring families. It is concentrated on two generations: firstly, that of Howard West Elkinton (1892-1955) and Katharine Wistar Mason Elkinton (1892/3-1961), his wife, and secondly, that of their daughter, Theodora Elkinton (1927-) who married Thomas Waring (1921-2001). It is a story of life choices made by these Quakers: for Howard and Katharine Elkinton, to serve under the American Friends Service Committee...
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 1
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 1
- Quaker businesspeople 1
- Society of Friends -- War relief and reconstruction 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Conscientious Objectors -- United States 1
- American Friends Service Committee 1
- Civilian Public Service 1
- Elkington, Peter W. 1
- Elkinton, David Cope, 1915- 1
- Elkinton, J. Passmore (Joseph Passmore), 1887-1971 1