Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
The Mahlon Day papers center on the West Indies journals kept by Day on his spiritual trip with Joseph John Gurney in 1839-1840, and his letters which touch on a range of topics from religious to political to business to family.
The manuscript of John Joseph Gurney includes three parts: "Charlemania Part I," Charlemania Part II," and "An Afternoon at Cambridge and a Morning at Oxford."
According to notes from the curator of Haverford College's Quaker and Special Collections, the manuscript is in the hand of Joseph John Gurney, but is "possibly written in the hand of Anna Gurney, who gave it to Ann Hodgkin, possibly as a wedding present."
This collection is comprised of the single volume manuscript by Joseph John Gurney, which lists corrections to the published manuscript, “Journey in North America, described in familiar letters to Amelia Opie.” Each page of the volume is numbered so that the corrections on each page match the corresponding page of the published version.
This collection traces several generations of the Quaker Taylor family, but centers on Francis R. Taylor (1884-1947) and George Washington Taylor (1803-1891). The former was an attorney and collector of information about his own and related families, as well as local historical information. The latter, who ran a free produce store in Philadelphia in the period before the American Civil War, was connected through his interests in free labor to many correspondents.
Primarily letters of John Wilbur giving in great detail his position relative to the views of Joseph John Gurney and rhe separation of New England Yearly Meeting. His trip to Great Britain in 1853-54 is documented as well.
- Quakers -- Great Britain 2
- Quakers -- History 2
- Abolitionists -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Antislavery movements -- History 1
- Antislavery movements -- United States 1
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 1
- Quakers 1
- Quakers -- Travel 1
- Slave labor 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 1
- Society of Friends -- West Indies 1
- Society of Friends -- Wilburite controversy 1
- genealogies (histories) 1
- letters (correspondence) 1
- manuscripts (documents) 1 ∧ less
- Bronner, Anne Taylor 1
- Day, Anna B. 1
- Day, Edward M. 1
- Day, Mahlon 1
- Day, Mary K. 1
- Day, Susan B. 1
- Edmunds, Albert J. (Albert Joseph) 1
- Haverford College 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- Jacob, Edward H. 1
- Jacob, Emma Taylor 1
- Richie, Edward 1
- Richie, Sarah A. 1
- Savery, Thomas H. 1
- Taylor family 1
- Taylor, Elizabeth Richie 1
- Taylor, Francis Richards 1
- Taylor, George Washington 1
- Taylor, Hubert Richie 1
- Thurston, William B. 1
- Whittier, John Greenleaf, 1807-1892 1
- Wilbur, John, 1774-1856 1 ∧ less