Showing Collections: 1 - 1 of 1
Overview Joseph Hoag (1762-1846) was a New York and Vermont Quaker minister who regarded himself as a traditional Friend, opposing both Elias Hicks and Joseph Gurney. He is best known for his "Vision" of 1803 which predicted an American Civil War, and his Journal, the publication of which in 1860 precipitated a schism at Scipio Monthly Meeting into Otisite and Kingite groups. His wife, Huldah Hoag (1762-1850), was also a Quaker minister, as were many of his ten children. The collection contains the...
- Names: New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Orthodox : 1828-1955) X
- Names: Coffin, Narcissa B. (Narcissa Battey), 1818-1892 X
- Library: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College X
- Subject: Church controversies -- Society of Friends X
- Subject: Quakers -- New York (State) X