Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview Joseph Hoag (1762-1846) was a New York and Vermont Quaker minister who regarded himself as a traditional Friend, opposing both Elias Hicks and Joseph Gurney. He is best known for his "Vision" of 1803 which predicted an American Civil War, and his Journal, the publication of which in 1860 precipitated a schism at Scipio Monthly Meeting into Otisite and Kingite groups. His wife, Huldah Hoag (1762-1850), was also a Quaker minister, as were many of his ten children. The collection contains the...
Abstract The collection contains correspondence received by Samuel Parsons of New York Monthly Meeting. Correspondents include William and Hannah Jackson, ministers of New Garden Monthly Meeting, Pa.; London Friends writing to James Mott, Parsons, and Richard R. Lawrence in response to their report of Friends' activities with native Americans; Samuel Bettle of Philadelphia concerning the Separation, offering advice for New York Yearly Meeting; Daniel Comstock describing the program of study at the...
Abstract These writings, apparently a draft in answer to Evan Lewis's defense of Hicks, elucidate Willis's beliefs and his account of the Separation, including his being part of the committee that presented the complaint against Hicks which culminated in the disownment of Hicks in 1829 by the Orthodox faction. Willis defends the importance of the Bible, the divinity of Jesus, and the authority of the Church. Includes a draft of a letter to Josiah Forster (1848) in which Willis refers to the Wilburite...
- Quakers -- New York (State) 2
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 2
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) -- New York 1
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 1
- Quakers -- Vermont 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 1
- Society of Friends -- Schisms and separations 1
- Society of Friends -- United States -- History -- 19th century 1
- Visions 1 ∧ less
- Bettle, Samuel, 1774-1861 1
- Coffin, Narcissa B. (Narcissa Battey), 1818-1892 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- Hoag family 1
- Hoag, Huldah, 1762-1850 1