Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Barton, Harold
Abstract In the early 1940s National Mental Health Foundation originated in 1944-1945 when Harold Barton and three associates, serving at Byberry State Hospital in Philadelphia (Pennsylvania), announced plans for a national campaign to improve the conditions in mental hospitals. The exposure of these conditions through the efforts of men serving in CPS, and their efforts to be a nonviolent presence in mental institutions, began a new movement in mental health care in the U.S. The National Mental...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1944-1949
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Miles, Ward and Alice Calder Miles
Abstract Includes two oral history interview (4 p., 2007 and 2 p., 2003) of Ward Miles and Alice Calder Miles; information about the Civilian Public Service unit at the Byberry State Hospital in Philadelphia, Pa.; manuscript "Out of Sight Out of Mind" by Ward C. Miles; information about a psychiatric aide training project conducted for the Rockefeller Foundation under the auspices of the Menninger Foundation, Topeka, Kansas in 1948; reference material about mental hospitals and psychiatric aide...
Dates: 1944-1948, 2003, 2007
Identifier: SCPC-CDG-A-Smith, Roland F.
Papers of Roland F. Smith documenting his service in Civilian Public Service as a conscientious objector during WWII, as well as family papers.
Dates: 1939-1946, 1981,1987-1990; 1981; 1992
- Conscientious objectors -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources 1
- Mental health services -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources 1
- Mentally ill -- Care -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources 1
- Psychiatric aides -- Training of -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Psychiatric hospitals -- United States 1
- Psychiatric hospitals -- United States -- History -- Sources 1
- Psychiatric hospitals -- Virginia -- Williamsburg -- History -- Sources 1
- Quakers -- New York (State) -- Albany -- History -- Sources 1
- Quakers -- Oregon -- Eugene -- History -- Sources 1 ∧ less
- Barton, Harold E. L., 1916-2005 1
- Civilian Public Service 1
- Civilian Public Service. Camp (Coleville, Calif.) 1
- Civilian Public Service. Camp (Williamsburg, Va.) 1
- Civilian Public Service. Mental Hygiene Program 1