Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
This collection is comprised of the single volume of Tetsuko Kawahara's master's thesis, entitled "The Friends Mission in Japan: 1885-1947." The thesis was for the Graduate School of International Affairs at the University of Tsukuba. The manuscript features chapters on: Quakerism and Foreign Mission, the Friends Mission in Japan: the beginning 1885-1900, Social Orientation of Quakerism in a Changing World, and the Friends Mission in Japan: the Transformation 1900-1947.
This collection is comprised of 17 anonymously hand-written volumes comprised of lists of Quaker ministers from Britain and the United States, and from the United States to Britain from the mid 17th century through the mid 19th century.
Henry Simmons was a Quaker missionary to the Seneca Nation and a member Middletown Monthly Meeting. Henry Simmons's journals are related to time Simmons spent with the Oneida and Seneca nations.
Henry Simmons, who belonged to the Middletown Monthly Meeting, spent a year with the Seneca near Cornplanter's village along with Halliday Jackson and Joel Swayne. There, the group of missionaries set up a school and model farm. Simmons's letterbooks are comprised of business and government correspondence related to his work with various Indigenous nations.
Diary entries are largely related to William Thompson's family's grocery business, family news, illness, social calls, and Quaker meetings he attended. He occasionally also describes Quakers from England and Ireland making religious visits to America.
- Quakers 2
- Quakers -- Diaries 2
- Quakers -- Travel 2
- Seneca Indians 2
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs 2
- correspondence 2
- diaries 2
- manuscripts (documents) 2
- Indians of North America 1
- Indians of North America -- Missions 1
- Japan 1
- Quakers -- Great Britain 1
- Quakers -- Ireland 1
- Society of Friends -- International assistance -- Russia 1
- Society of Friends -- Japan 1
- travel literature 1 ∧ less
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955). Indian Committee (1827-1948) 2
- Simmons, Henry 2
- American Friends Service Committee 1
- Cornplanter, Seneca chief 1
- Kawahara, Tetsuko 1