Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 18
Overview The diary begins with a description of Bowerman's childhood and early adulthood. Entries are composed of religious reflection, descriptions of meetings attended in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, family news, and social calls.
Overview Diary entries largely focus on religious reflection, but also describe social calls and Quaker meetings.
Overview Amy Fenimore was a Quaker from Philadelphia. Her diary entries largely focus on prayers and religious reflection, and many describe Quaker meetings, and births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community. Entries during the years 1832-1833 discuss the Hicksite-Orthodox Quaker separation.
Overview Sara Hartshorne's diary entries focus on illnesses and deaths within the family, but also include religious reflections, descriptions of the weather, and visits with family and friends.
Overview This collection includes a variety of diaries of the Lloyd family, including three anonymous diaries, one diary written by Mary Ann Lloyd, one by Sarah Lloyd, and one by Susan Lloyd. Diary entries are generally related to religion, Quaker meetings, and social calls. Some volumes includes extracts or poetry.
Overview Diary entries describe weather, Quaker meetings, family news, and births, deaths, and marriages within the family and Quaker community.
Overview Anne Moore was a Quaker minister from 1738 to 1783. Journal entries detail her travels as a Quaker minister to Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, parts of New England, and England. Entries also provide descriptions of Quaker meetings, visits from Friends, and Moore’s reflections on religion and advice for her children.
Overview Elizabeth Hudson Morris was a Quaker minister who traveled through the United States, Ireland, and Scotland. Diary entries describe Elizabeth’s travel as a Quaker minister throughout the British colonies in North America, as well as Ireland and Scotland, and Quaker meetings. Copied versions of letters from Jane Hoskins are also included in the volume.
Overview Jane Rhoads Morris's journal was written for her family at home during her trip to Canada during August and September, 1889. Her daily entries describe, in detail, her experiences camping in the Canadian wilderness, accompanied by her cousins and Indigenous people they employed to paddle them in canoes to and from each campsite, as well as interactions with Indigenous people the group meets during their travels.
Overview The collected papers of the Sharpless and Reeve family of New Jersey and Philadelphia. Much of the correspondence is between Edward Sharpless (1831-1894), a New Jersey Quaker minister, and his sister, Anna N. Sharpless, who married John Newbold Reeve in 1857. Their daughter, Mary Offley Reeve, worked as a school teacher when young and became involved in temperance and evangelical Christianity. She shared these interests, reflected in diaries and other writings, with Annie Way Smith, a...
Dates: 1852 - 1957
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 17
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 1
- Quaker women -- United States 17
- diaries 17
- Quakers -- History 12
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 4
- Women clergy -- United States -- Diaries 4
- Motherhood -- United States -- History 3
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 3
- Women and religion 3
- Child rearing -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 2
- Quakers -- Family relationships 2
- Society of Friends -- Clergy -- Diaries 2
- travel literature 2
- Aging 1
- Camping 1
- Canada 1
- Child care 1
- Death 1
- Evangelical Quakers 1
- Evangelicalism 1
- Indians of North America 1
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 1
- Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- New Jersey 1
- Pennsylvania 1
- Quaker women -- 20th century 1
- Quaker women -- Diaries 1
- Quaker women -- United States -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Great Britain 1
- Quakers -- New Jersey 1
- Temperance -- Pennsylvania -- Societies, etc. 1
- Temperance -- Societies, etc. 1
- Temperance and religion -- Society of Friends 1
- Women -- Education 1
- Women -- Education -- Pennsylvania 1
- Women -- Religious life 1
- Women -- United States -- Social life and customs 1
- Women teachers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Women travelers 1 ∧ less
- Bowerman, Sarah Upton 1
- Bringhurst, Hannah Peters 1
- Evans, Hannah Bacon 1
- Fenimore, Amy 1
- Hartshorne, Sara 1
- Lloyd family 1
- Lloyd, Mary Ann 1
- Lloyd, Sarah Smith 1
- Lloyd, Susan H. 1
- Maule, Jane 1
- Moore, Anne, active 1756-1786 1
- Morris, Elizabeth Hudson 1
- Morris, Jane Rhoads 1
- Reeve, Anna N. (Anna N. Sharpless Reeve), 1825-1891 1
- Reeve, Mary Offley, 1861-1947 1
- Rhoads, Sarah Wistar, 1839-1920 1
- Sharpless, Edward, 1831-1894 1
- Smiley, Sarah Frances 1
- Smith, Annie Way, 1867-1938 1
- Swett, Mary Howell 1
- Valentino, Carmen 1
- Waln, Emma 1
- Whitall, Ann Cooper 1
- Wistar, Esther Fisher Smith 1
- Yarnall, Anna C. 1 ∧ less