Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
Entries describe Bacon’s daily life, including descriptions of the weather, Quaker meetings he attended, business transactions, social calls with friends and family, and the births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community.
Howard Comfort was a Quaker merchant in Philadelphia, and often traveled between Philadelphia and various cities in Great Britain on business. Each volume is a small “pocket diary,” and entries include lists of assignments and readings for class, notes, and quoted excerpts from materials Comfort had read, as well as descriptions of social calls and Quaker meetings.
Lydia Barton Cooke was a Philadelphia Quaker who joined the Hicksites in 1828. Diary entries include prayers, poems, descriptions of domestic duties, social calls from family and friends, Quaker meetings, and discussions of the health of her husband and children. Cooke's diaries also feature religious reflections, potentially concerning the separation between Orthodox and Hicksite.
Diary entries describe social calls, the health of family and friends, the weather, Quaker meetings, and births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community.
Susan Foulke was an Orthodox Quaker and a member of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Entries detail Susan’s daily life and include prayers, religious reflection, descriptions of visits to friends and family in Philadelphia and Burlington, New Jersey, and births, deaths, and marriages within her family and the Quaker community.
Joseph Scattergood, an Elder of Green St. Monthly Meeting, was a signer of the first letter of concern by the Elders of Philadelphia to Elias Hicks regarding the doctrine he was preaching (1822). Diary entries describe Quaker meetings, social calls and family news, visits to family and friends in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community, and Scattergood's work as a school teacher.
John Shoemaker was a Quaker minister. Shoemaker's journals detail his religious visits throughout North America. Entries generally describe travel between destinations, families that host Shoemaker and his companions throughout their travels, and descriptions of Quaker meetings attended and Quaker families visited.
Letters; diaries; genealogical material; land grants signed by Presidents John Tyler, Martin Van Buren, and Franklin Pierce; and other papers of the Updegraff family, mainly those of David B. Updegraff, which provide a picture of Quakerism in 19th-century Ohio.
Emma Waln's diary entries detail her active social life, including descriptions of attendance of various social events, including whist parties, women's clubs meetings, lectures, and parties, as well as more informal social calls from friends and family. Waln's diary also describes attending classes and lectures at Swarthmore College.
- diaries 12
- Quakers -- History 10
- Quaker women 3
- Quaker women -- United States 3
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 3
- Motherhood -- United States -- History 2
- Quakers -- Family relationships 2
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 2
- Quakers -- Travel 2
- Agriculture -- United States 1
- Antislavery movements -- United States 1
- Baptists 1
- Diaries -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Haverford (Pa.) 1
- Motherhood -- Great Britain -- History 1
- Ohio -- Description and travel 1
- Prison reformers 1
- Prisons -- Missions and charities -- United States 1
- Prisons -- United States 1
- Quakers 1
- Quakers -- Ohio 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Temperance 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Women -- Education 1
- Women -- Education -- Pennsylvania 1
- Women -- United States -- Social life and customs 1
- Women and religion 1
- World War, 1914-1918 1
- travel literature 1 ∧ less
- Bacon, Francis, 1812-1870 1
- Baily, Joshua L. (Joshua Longstreth), 1826-1916 1
- Baily, Theodate Lang 1
- Comfort, Howard 1
- Cooke, Lydia Barton 1
- Dinsmore family 1
- Evans, Elizabeth Reeve 1
- Evans, Hannah Bacon 1
- Foulke, Susan 1
- Haverford College 1
- Hicks, Elias, 1748-1830 1
- Lloyd family 1
- Newlin family 1
- Rhoads, Sarah Wistar, 1839-1920 1
- Scattergood, Joseph 1
- Shoemaker, John 1
- Taylor family 1
- Taylor, Jonathan 1
- Tyler, John, 1790-1862 1
- Updegraff family 1
- Updegraff, Ann Taylor 1
- Updegraff, David Benjamin 1
- Updegraff, David Brainerd 1
- Updegraff, Jonathan Taylor 1
- Updegraff, Rebecca A. 1
- Updegraff, Rebecca Taylor 1
- Van Buren, Martin, 1782-1862 1
- Waln, Emma 1
- Warder, Ann Head 1
- Wistar, Thomas 1
- Yarnall, Anna C. 1 ∧ less