Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
The diary begins with a description of Bowerman's childhood and early adulthood. Entries are composed of religious reflection, descriptions of meetings attended in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, family news, and social calls.
Diary entries largely focus on religious reflection, but also describe social calls and Quaker meetings.
Churchman frequently traveled throughout the Mid-Atlantic and New England regions, and thus many of his diary entries describe his travels to visit various meetings and Quaker families from Pennsylvania to as far north as Massachusetts. Entries describe meetings attended and families visited in the various towns and cities that Churchman traveled to, as well as family news, and marriages and deaths within the Quaker community.
Stephen Gould was an active Quaker and a repairer of clocks in Newport, Rhode Island. His diary entries include descriptions of social calls, Quaker Meetings, the health of Gould's young son, births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community, and discussions of the War of 1812 and Gould's opposition to warfare in general.
Isaac Hacker was a Quaker school administrator in Salem, Massachusetts. His diary entries describe the weather, attendance at Quaker Meetings, social calls from friends and family, and births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community.
The Quaker families of Jones and Cadbury were interrelated with many other Quaker families in the United States and England. This collection provides a rich source of genealogical and historical information, not only on the Jones and Cadbury families, and especially Mary Hoxie Jones (1904-2003) and Emma Cadbury Jr. (1875-1965), but also, significantly, on the Warder family, as well as the Bartram, Brown, Carter, Foulke, Kaighn, Lowry, Mennell, Pearsall, Shinn, and Shipley families.
This collection includes a variety of diaries of the Lloyd family, including three anonymous diaries, one diary written by Mary Ann Lloyd, one by Sarah Lloyd, and one by Susan Lloyd. Diary entries are generally related to religion, Quaker meetings, and social calls. Some volumes includes extracts or poetry.
Diary entries describe weather, Quaker meetings, family news, and births, deaths, and marriages within the family and Quaker community.
Isaac Stephenson was a British Quaker minister who went on religious visits throughout Great Britain and the United States. His diary entries describe Stephenson's travels in the Quaker ministry in New England, including descriptions of towns he visited, Friends who hosted him or with whom he visited, and Meetings attended.
- diaries 8
- Quakers -- History 6
- Quaker women -- United States 4
- Quakers -- Family relationships 2
- Quakers -- Travel 2
- travel literature 2
- American poetry -- Quaker authors 1
- Austria -- History -- 1918-1938 1
- Death 1
- Fatherhood -- United States 1
- New Jersey 1
- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Massachusetts -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- Clergy -- Diaries 1
- United States -- History -- War of 1812 1
- Women -- Religious life 1
- Women -- United States -- Social life and customs 1
- Women and religion 1 ∧ less
- American Friends Service Committee 1
- Bertrand family 1
- Bowerman, Sarah Upton 1
- Bringhurst, Hannah Peters 1
- Brown family 1
- Cadbury family 1
- Cadbury, Anna K (Anna Kaighn), 1846-1923 1
- Cadbury, Benjamin 1
- Cadbury, Caroline, 1801-1868 1
- Cadbury, Emma, 1843-1923 1
- Cadbury, Emma, 1875-1965 1
- Cadbury, Henry J. (Henry Joel), 1883-1974 1
- Cadbury, Joel, 1838-1923 1
- Cadbury, John Warder 1
- Cadbury, Richard, 1825-1897 1
- Carter family 1
- Champney, Mary 1
- Churchman, George, 1730-1814 1
- Faulk family 1
- Gould, Stephen, 1781?-1838 1
- Hacker, Isaac 1
- Howard family 1
- Jones family 1
- Jones, Mary Hoxie 1
- Jones, Rufus M. (Rufus Matthew), 1863-1948 1
- Kaighn family 1
- Lloyd family 1
- Lloyd, Mary Ann 1
- Lloyd, Sarah Smith 1
- Lloyd, Susan H. 1
- Lowry family 1
- Lowry, Benjamin 1
- Maule, Jane 1
- Mennell family 1
- Pearsall family 1
- Pearsall, Eleanor H. 1
- Rowntree, Elizabeth Harvey 1
- Shinn family 1
- Shipley family 1
- Stephenson, Isaac 1
- Vining, Elizabeth Gray 1
- Warder, Ann Head 1
- Warder, John 1 ∧ less