Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Lydia Barton Cooke was a Philadelphia Quaker who joined the Hicksites in 1828. Diary entries include prayers, poems, descriptions of domestic duties, social calls from family and friends, Quaker meetings, and discussions of the health of her husband and children. Cooke's diaries also feature religious reflections, potentially concerning the separation between Orthodox and Hicksite.
Diary entries describe social calls, the health of family and friends, the weather, Quaker meetings, and births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community.
Susan Foulke was an Orthodox Quaker and a member of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Entries detail Susan’s daily life and include prayers, religious reflection, descriptions of visits to friends and family in Philadelphia and Burlington, New Jersey, and births, deaths, and marriages within her family and the Quaker community.
Emma Waln's diary entries detail her active social life, including descriptions of attendance of various social events, including whist parties, women's clubs meetings, lectures, and parties, as well as more informal social calls from friends and family. Waln's diary also describes attending classes and lectures at Swarthmore College.
Early diary entries describe Sallie's classes and studies in her efforts to earn her high school diploma, while later entries describe social calls, illnesses in the family, and other family news, as well as Sallie's responsibilities as the eldest daughter living at home.
Anna Yarnall's diary entries describe weather, social calls, domestic duties, family news, attendance at meetings, births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community, and the health of herself and family members.
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 7
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 1
- diaries 7
- Quakers -- Diaries 6
- Quakers -- History 5
- Quaker women -- United States 4
- Quaker women 3
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 2
- Medicine -- United States -- History -- 18th century 1
- Motherhood -- United States -- History 1
- Quaker women -- 19th century -- Correspondence 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Montgomery County 1
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 1
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Women -- Sources 1
- Women -- Education 1
- Women -- Education -- Pennsylvania 1
- Women -- United States -- Social life and customs 1
- Women and religion 1
- Yellow fever 1 ∧ less
- Cooke, Lydia Barton 1
- Drinker, Elizabeth Sandwith 1
- Drinker, Henry, 1734-1809 1
- Emlen, Samuel 1
- Evans, Elizabeth Reeve 1