Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
The Burr Collection includes manuscripts which document the Hicksite position during the Separation of 1827/28 in Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and the trial over the Crosswicks School Fund. It is directly related to the Southard Papers/RG5/312, which contain a more complete description of the controversy. It also includes Burr's manuscript on the History of the Society of Friends which he compiled for Southard as background in preparing his case representing the Hicksite position.
This collection contains the correspondence and legal papers of Samuel L. Southard, New Jersey lawyer and politician, concerning his defense of the Hicksite position in the trial over the Crosswicks School Fund at the time of the Separation in the Society of Friends. The School Fund of Crosswick Preparative Meeting, New Jersey, was claimed by both factions, Hicksite and Orthodox.
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 1
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 1
- Quakers -- New Jersey -- Crosswicks 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- History 1
- Hopper, Edward 1
- Hopper, Isaac T. (Isaac Tatem), 1771-1852 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1827-1955) 1
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends 1
- Poole, William, 1764-1829 1