Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Jacob R. Elfreth Sr. was a teacher and a bookkeeper for the Leigh Navigation Company. The majority of entries detail family news, Quaker meetings, Elfreth's work with the Leigh Navigation Company, and births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community,
John S. Haines's "Farm and Garden" diary entries detail the weather, farm work done each day, harvests, planting, and crops yielded. Entries also describe farm-related business, including the sale of crops and the purchasing of farm equipment.
Emma Waln's diary entries detail her active social life, including descriptions of attendance of various social events, including whist parties, women's clubs meetings, lectures, and parties, as well as more informal social calls from friends and family. Waln's diary also describes attending classes and lectures at Swarthmore College.
This collection includes three bound volumes of handwritten transcriptions and extracts of Ann Head Warder’s diaries, originally written between 1786 and 1789. The transcriptions were written by later family members during the 19th century. Diary entries describe Ann’s voyage to America and her travels within New York and Pennsylvania, including people she met, Quaker meetings she attended, and social calls made during her travels.
Early diary entries describe Sallie's classes and studies in her efforts to earn her high school diploma, while later entries describe social calls, illnesses in the family, and other family news, as well as Sallie's responsibilities as the eldest daughter living at home.
Anna Yarnall's diary entries describe weather, social calls, domestic duties, family news, attendance at meetings, births, deaths, and marriages within the Quaker community, and the health of herself and family members.
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Social life and customs 4
- Quaker women -- United States 3
- Agriculture -- Pennsylvania -- History 1
- Agriculture -- United States 1
- Motherhood -- Great Britain -- History 1
- Motherhood -- United States -- History 1
- Quakers -- Travel 1
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Women -- Education 1
- Women -- Education -- Pennsylvania 1
- Women -- United States -- Social life and customs 1 ∧ less
- Elfreth, Jacob R., Sr., 1789-1870 1
- Evans, Hannah Bacon 1
- Haines, John S. 1
- Rhoads, Sarah Wistar, 1839-1920 1
- Waln, Emma 1