Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Overview A general meeting for Friends in the Delaware Valley area was first convened at Burlington in 1681. The first general meeting held in Philadelphia was in 1683, and in 1685, it was agreed that the meetings in New Jersey and Pennsylvania should be combined into one yearly meeting with alternate sessions at Philadelphia and at Burlington. The great Separation among Philadelphia Friends into Orthodox and Hicksite branches occurred at the Yearly Meeting of 1827. Through the course of the early 20th...
Overview The Arch Street Meeting House in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was designed by Owen Biddle Jr. in 1803 in the Georgian style. It was completed in 1811. This collection contains photographs and negatives from renovations undertaken in 1990-1992 of the roof of the meetinghouse.
Dates: 1990 - 1992
Overview The Burr Collection includes manuscripts which document the Hicksite position during the Separation of 1827/28 in Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and the trial over the Crosswicks School Fund. It is directly related to the Southard Papers/RG5/312, which contain a more complete description of the controversy. It also includes Burr's manuscript on the History of the Society of Friends which he compiled for Southard as background in preparing his case representing the Hicksite position.
Dates: 1822 - 1836
Overview The term "epistle" is used to refer to letters exchanged between Quaker organizations, especially from one yearly meeting to another. Epistles are often used to articulate Quaker doctrine and discipline. This collection of various manuscript (handwritten) epistles was compiled from the Friends Historical Library from different sources.
Dates: 1688 - 1973
General Secretary, General Services, Financial, and Administration of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Records
Overview The administrative structure of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting has been re-worked a number of times. This finding aid describes administrative records and office files, primarily from the early 20th century to the present -- from the time when the Hicksite and Orthodox Yearly Meetings first began to employ paid staff to handle administrative matters. Today these functions are grouped under the auspices of General Services. This finding aid also describes the records of the General Secretaries...
Overview This collection of photographs was assembled by the George School Archives and transferred to the Friends Historical Library. It consists primarily of photographs of Philadelphia-area Quaker Meeting Houses taken by Gilbert Cope and A.A. Buzby from the 18070s to 1930s. There are also a few photographs by other photographers, photographs of Meeting Houses beyond Philadelphia, and George School graduating classes. George School is a Quaker school in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
Dates: 1870 - 1936
Overview Horace Mather Lippincott (1877-1967) was a Quaker editor and historian. The collection contains his speeches and writings on topics primarily concerning the Society of Friends. Of particular interest is the scrapbook he compiled in 1946 of papers and photographs of the 1913-1914 Joint Group which met weekly to study the Separation in the Society of Friends, along with other papers on the topic and on the first joint meeting of the two Philadelphia Yearly Meetings in 1946. The collection...
Dates: 1752 - 2010
Overview The Society of Friends or Quakers (the terms are synonymous) was founded in the middle of the seventeenth century in England by George Fox and others. The Friends Historical Library has collected Quaker disciplines since its founding in 1871. FHL is also the official repository for the records of seven American yearly meetings.
Overview Koozma J. Tarasoff (born 1932) is a scholar of the Doukhobors, a Spiritual Christian religious group of Russian origin with a sizeable community in Canada. This collection consists of black and white photographs taken by Tarasoff on a trip to Philadelphia Yearly Meeting in March 1983. He photographed Quaker Meeting Houses and schools and prominent Quakers including E. Raymond Wilson and Laurama Pixton.
Overview Friends Fiduciary Corporation of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends was created in 1975 by a merger of the Trustees of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and the Friends Fiduciary Corporation. The Fiduciary Corporation primarily manages and invests funds entrusted to it by Friends meetings and organizations, which are commingled into a Consolidated Fund.
- Names: Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends X
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 7
- Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 3
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania 4
- Society of Friends -- Delaware 3
- Society of Friends -- Maryland 3
- Society of Friends -- New Jersey 3
- Church controversies -- Society of Friends 2
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 2
- Quaker church buildings -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia 2
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 2
- Epistles 1
- Land titles -- Pennsylvania 1
- Philadelphia (Pa.) 1
- Quaker authors -- 20th century 1
- Quaker church buildings -- Pictorial works 1
- Quakers -- Albums (Books) 1
- Quakers -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Genealogy 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- 20th century 1
- Quakers -- Portraits 1
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 1
- Real property -- Pennsylvania 1
- Religious institutions -- Investments 1
- Social ethics 1
- Society of Friends -- Church discipline 1
- Society of Friends -- Discipline 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- Government 1
- Society of Friends -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- Reunification 1
- Stewardship, Christian 1
- Trusts and trustees 1
- Wealth -- Moral and ethical aspects 1 ∧ less