Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Scope and Contents The letters and documents in this collection, including by many prominent Friends, shed light on several aspects of Quaker history and thought from religious to economic and cultural developments. Topics discussed include news of family and Friends, slavery and freedmen, Native Americans, Society of Friends affairs and controversies (e.g. Elias Hicks American Friends' Letters and the Separation of 1827-1828, the Wilbur-Gurney controversy, the Richmond Declaration of Faith), as well as women's...
Overview This collection contains the papers of the Darlington family of Delaware County, Pa., and Woodstown, NJ. Quakers with strong ties to Swarthmore College, the family was involved in education, social and peace concerns, and businesses in the Philadelphia area. Charles J. Darlington (1894-1966) served as Clerk of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends during the reunification of the two Philadelphia Yearly Meetings. The collection includes family correspondence relating to...
Overview Lydia Jones Sharpless Hunn (1818-1911) was a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Orthodox Quaker. The collection contains diaries (1881-1908), reminiscences (1893), and other family papers.
Overview This collection contains papers, clippings, and photographs relating to the Sharpless family.
Scope and Content note This collection is comprised of a single folder materials of the sharpless family, related to the Anna T. Jeanes and Joseph Jeanes Fund and the George School. The materials include correspondence (2 items), minutes from the Joseph Jeanes Committee, information about the real estate holdings in the estate of Anna T. Jeanes, a pamphlet of the "Lists of Sub Committees Appointed by the George School Committee," a notebook of expenses, a small single volume address book, and a small day book for the...
Scope and Content note This collection is composed of the single volume letterbook of Sharpless family letters. The personal correspondence included acted as a circulating "family letter" and was added to by each family member, with the goal of assembling the letters at the end of the year and binding them together for the use of future generations. Letters generally provide news of each letter writer, as well as comments on past letters. The family letters often discuss the state of religion in Colorado, where...
Overview Letters, accounts, diaries, journals of members of the inter-related Sharpless and Kite families, including the papers of Joshua Sharpless (1746/7-1826) and letters of Mary Kite (1792-1861) as well as the papers of Edward G. Smedley, ca. 1836-1908, dealing with his experiences as a conscientious objector during the Civil War, 1863-1866.
Overview The collection represents two branches of the Sharpless family of Pennsylvania descended from Joseph and Lydia (Lewis) Sharpless). It contains correspondence between extended Sharpless family relations including Sharpless, Hunn, Jones, Drinker families and journals of Joshua Sharpless, a Quaker minister who worked with Native Americans and visited Quaker meetings in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Canada. Correspondence covers various topics including the travels of women ministers, yellow fever,...
Overview The collection contains correspondence, journals and other writings, business and legal papers, and miscellaneous items of the Smedley family, a large and prominent Quaker family of Penncrest Farm, Middletown Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. The family was related to the Kite and Sharples/Sharpless families of Chester and Delaware Counties. The papers include significant correspondence of the Kite family, especially Thomas Kite (1785-1845) and Mary Kite (1792-1861), both prominent...
Dates: 1751 - 1996; Majority of material found within 1821 - 1950
- Names: Sharpless family X
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections 5
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College 4
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 4
- Quakers -- Diaries 3
- Quakers -- Social life and customs 3
- correspondence 3
- Agriculture -- Pennsylvania -- Delaware County 2
- Lay ministry -- Society of Friends 2
- Quakers -- Genealogy 2
- Quakers -- History 2
- Society of Friends -- United States 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- Agriculture -- Pennsylvania -- History 1
- Business 1
- Chester County (Pa.) -- History -- Sources 1
- College Presidents 1
- College students -- United States 1
- Conscientious objection 1
- Delaware County (Pa.) 1
- Diaries 1
- Education 1
- Europe -- Description and travel -- 19th century 1
- Lay ministry -- Pennsylvania 1
- Mathematics 1
- Media (Pa.) 1
- Middletown (Delaware County, Pa. : Township) 1
- Pennsylvania -- History -- Sources 1
- Philadelphia (Pa.) 1
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- History -- Sources 1
- Quaker architects 1
- Quaker farmers 1
- Quaker women -- Diaries 1
- Quaker women -- Pennsylvania 1
- Quakers 1
- Quakers -- 19th century -- Diaries 1
- Quakers -- Education 1
- Quakers -- Family relationships 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Education 1
- Quakers -- Travel 1
- Slavery and the church -- Society of Friends 1
- Smedley family 1
- Society of Friends -- Education 1
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation 1
- Society of Friends -- Indian affairs -- History 1
- Society of Friends -- Missions -- Japan 1
- Society of Friends -- Reunification 1
- Society of Friends -- Wilburite controversy 1
- Spiritual life -- Society of Friends 1
- Travel -- Religious aspects -- Society of Friends 1
- Universities and colleges -- Pennsylvania -- Haverford 1
- Women -- Suffrage -- United States -- History 1
- diaries 1
- financial records 1 ∧ less