Underwood Family Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains chiefly papers of Warner Underwood (1851-1941), Quaker businessman and philanthropist, and his wife, Tamar Eliza John Underwood (1848-1932), including personal correspondence, financial and legal records (1876) relating to a sawmill in Centre County, Pa., student copy work, memorabilia, and historical material relating to Millville.
- Underwood family (Family)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research
Copyright and Rights Information
Friends Historical Library believes all of the items in this collection to be in the Public Domain in the United States, and is not aware of any restrictions on their use. However, the user is responsible for making a final determination of copyright status before reproducing. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
The Underwood family was a Quaker family, of Millville, Pennsylvania, and Woodbury, New Jersey. Warner Underwood (5/9/1851-2/4/1941) was a Quaker businessman and philanthropist. He married Tamar Eliza John (12/19/1848-8/2/1932) at the home of her mother, Hannah Kester John, in Millville, Columbia County, Pa, under the care of Fishing Creek Monthly Meeting on the 21st day of 10th month, 1875. They had two sons, James Harris Underwood (b. 9/27/1876) and Amos Parker Underwood (b. 12/24/1883). The family transferred from Centre Monthly Meeting, Pa., to Woodbury Monthly Meeting, N.J., certificate in 1880.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)
The Underwood family was a Quaker family, of Millville, Pennsylvania, and Woodbury, New Jersey. The collection contains chiefly papers of Warner Underwood (1851-1941), Quaker businessman and philanthropist, and his wife, Tamar Eliza John Underwood (1848-1932), including personal correspondence, financial and legal records (1876) relating to a sawmill in Centre County, Pa., student copy work, memorabilia, and historical material relating to Millville.
The collection is divided into six series:
- Biographical and genealogical
- Legal and financial papers
- Reference material, Quaker
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donor: Joseph Mather Livezey, 1967
Unprocessed when received. Sorted and placed in RG 5.
- Businessmen -- United States
- Lumber trade -- Pennsylvania
- Lumber trade -- Pennsylvania -- Centre County
- Millville (Columbia County, Pa.) -- History -- Sources
- New Jersey -- History -- Sources
- Pennsylvania -- History -- Sources
- Philanthropists -- United States
- Quaker philanthropists
- Quaker women -- New Jersey
- Quaker women -- Pennsylvania
- Quakers -- New Jersey
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania
- Quakers -- Social life and customs
- Sawmills -- Pennsylvania
- Underwood family
- Woodbury (N.J.) -- History -- Sources
- Underwood Family Papers, 1833-1927
- FHL staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2020: Updated outdated, harmful terminology related to enslavement, except where it appears in a title, quotation, or subject heading.
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA