Eunomian Literary Society Records
Scope and Contents
Consists of the records of the Eunomian Literary Society, including minutes from its founding in 1871 to May 1913. Also includes printed copies of the constitution and by-laws (1889 and 1897 editions), as well as correspondence from 1872 to 1900.
Organized into three series:
- Constitution and By-Laws
- Swarthmore College. Eunomian Literary Society (Organization)
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research.
Copyright and Rights Information
Friends Historical Library believes all of the items in this collection to be in the Public Domain in the United States, and is not aware of any restrictions on their use. However, the user is responsible for making a final determination of copyright status before reproducing. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/.
Biographical / Historical
The Eunomian Literary Society was founded at Swarthmore College in 1871. It was a men's student organization dedicated to developing its members' debating skills and encouraging their mutual improvement in literature and the cultivation of fellowship and good feeling, according to the group's constitution.
At their regular meetings, the Eunomians debated contemporary issues, gave impromptu speeches, read poetry and short stories by famous authors, and occasionally played musical instruments. The group founded a library in 1874 that subscribed to a number of magazines such as Life, The Saturday Evening Post, and Ladies Home Journal. It was active on campus, holding debates with the Somerville and Delphic literary societies, and from 1871 to 1913, the group held meetings regularly. It published a journal, The Eunomian. In 1913, the group merged with the Delphic Society to form the Athenaeum.
According to the records of the group's rivals, the Delphic Literary Society, the Eunomian Literary Society was originally called the Eurodelphian Literary Society. The name was changed sometime after the fall of 1873 to Eunomian, which means under good laws.
1.5 Linear Feet (3 boxes)
The Eunomian Literary Society was a men's debating and speaking club founded at Swarthmore College, Pa., in 1871. In 1913, the group merged with the Delphic Literary Society, forming the Athenaeum. Records include minutes from 1871 to May 1913. Also includes printed copies of the constitution and by-laws and correspondence from 1872 to 1900.
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donor: Eunomian Literary Society
Issues of the Eunomian, 1883-1884, stored in RG 6/A10/Student Publication.
Records were deposited at Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College, date unknown. Sorted, rehoused, and a new finding aid created in 2003.
- Finding aid for Eunomian Literary Society Records, 1871-1913
- Finding Aid Prepared by FHL staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore Pennsylvania 19081 USA