Philadelphia General Meeting Records
Scope and Contents
Records of the Philadelphia General Meeting (Society of Friends) and the joint committees appointed in anticipation of reunification, including the Joint Committee on a Common Book of Discipline, Faith and Practice and the Joint Committee on Organic Union. Also includes the relevant papers -- minutes and correspondence -- of committee members.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
Copyright and Rights Information
Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
Biographical / Historical
In 1945, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) instructed its Representative Meeting to consider possible ways and means of closer unity with its Orthodox counterpart; this direction was met with a similar proposal from Arch Street. A preliminary study resulted in the formation of a Philadelphia General Meeting of Friends, comprising all members of both Philadelphia Yearly Meetings. Philadelphia General Meeting convened in the autumn of each year. Direction of this Meeting was vested in a Planning Committee of fifty, half of which would be appointed by each Yearly Meeting. Initially the sessions were limited to consideration of those projects which were already conducted jointly, including the American Friends Service Committee Friends Council on Education, etc., with two evenings of an inspirational or educational nature.
In 1950, agreement on the complete merger of the two yearly meetings was reached; this organic reunification was finally accomplished in 1955. The last session of Philadelphia General Meeting was held in 1954.
1.25 Linear Feet
Records of Philadelphia General Meeting, an annual meeting of members of both Philadelphia Yearly Meetings from 1946-1954. Also includes minutes, correspondence, and other records of joint committees involved in the process of the reunification of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting .
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Joint Committee on Organic Union (Society of Friends : Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Joint Committee on a Common Book of Discipline, Faith and Practice (Society of Friends : Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Joint Committee on the Revision of Queries (Society of Friends : Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Jones, Wilmot
- Miller, Richmond P. (Richmond Pearson), 1902-1972
- Philadelphia General Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (1946-1954)
- Smith, Claude C.
- Society of Friends -- Delaware
- Society of Friends -- Hicksite separation
- Society of Friends -- Maryland
- Society of Friends -- New Jersey
- Society of Friends -- Pennsylvania
- Society of Friends -- Reunification
- Walton, George A. (George Arthur), 1883-
- PHILADELPHIA GENERAL MEETING
- A Finding Aid for its Records Deposited in Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College Library