John Beer Collected Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection includes correspondence and notes about Beer's work for peace and social justice including: a typescript account of conscientious objector David Emerson's hearing in 1954 in Danville, Illinois; peace involvements in Delaware, 1960s-1980s, including opposition to the Vietnam War and to nuclear weapons; accounts of Western Quarterly Friends (Quakers) visits to the Pentagon to protest the arms race, 1979-1981, including correspondence with Brig. General Richard T. Boverie; opposition to ROTC at the University of Delaware; and, evaluation of nuclear warfare films by Beer and his students. The papers include Beer's reference files.
Papers regarding John Beer's academic and professional work are deposited at the Hagley Museum and Library in Delaware.
- Majority of material found within 1954-1985
- Beer, John Joseph, 1927- (Person)
Language of Material
Materials are in English.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
The collection is open for research use.
Physical Access Note
All or part of this collection is stored off-site. Contact Swarthmore College Peace Collection staff at email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of visit to request boxes.
Copyright and Rights Information
John Joseph Beer was born in 1927, Saarbrucken, Germany and died Oct. 2, 2021 in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. He received his Ph.D. in the history of science from the University of Illinois in 1956. He taught the history of science and the history of chemistry at the University of Delaware, until his retirement in 1992. He was a Quaker peace and antinuclear activist.
2.08 Linear Feet (25 linear in.)
John Beer was a professor of the history of science and chemistry, as well as a Quaker peace and antinuclear activist.
Other Finding Aids
For the catalog record for this collection, and to find materials on similar topics, search the library's online catalog.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is the official repository for the papers of John Beer.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of John Beer, 1996, 2002 [96A-064, 02A-050].
Processed by Anne M. Yoder, Archivist.
- Antinuclear movement -- Delaware -- History -- Sources
- Beer, John Joseph, 1927-
- Conscientious objectors -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Emerson, David
- Nuclear warfare in motion pictures
- Peace movements -- Delaware -- History -- Sources
- Peace movements -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Quakers -- Delaware
- Social reformers -- Delaware -- History -- Sources
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Protest movements -- United States -- Sources
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2017: The file list was standardized in Summer 2017 by Mary Olesnavich in preparation for importing into ArchivesSpace. Tessa Chambers added the notes in Fall 2017.
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US