United Peace Chest of Philadelphia Records
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of minutes, reports, treasurer's statements, fundraising material, publicity material, and literature, with correspondence from Fredrick J. Libby and with cooperating organizations, publicity on meetings, and literature, etc. There is also a small amount of material on the work of the Baltimore Peace Chest, 1938-1940.Correspondents include Frederick J. Libby and Muriel Lester.
- United Peace Chest of Philadelphia (Organization)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Limitations on Accessing the Collection
This collection is stored off-site. Please contact the Curator at least two weeks in advance of a visit to the Peace Collection to discuss retrieval of off-site materials.
Copyright and Rights Information
The United Peace Chest was begun as a coordinating and integrating organization for peace groups in the Philadelphia area. Over 125 organizations cooperated in its work. Its principal activity was fundraising through an annual campaign called the Peace Chest Campaign. It also provided a nucleus of support for the Philadelphia Peace Council to serve all peace groups and activities in the Philadelphia area.
The main organizations participating in the campaigns and receiving the bulk of its funds were: The National Council for Prevention of War; The Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, Pennsylvania Branch; The Philadelphia Peace Council; the Fellowship of Reconciliation; and, the Committee on Militarism in Education. The Peace Council and the Committee on Militarism in Education did not continue after their work was given up in the 1940's.
When the United Peace Chest moved from 1924 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, to 2006 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Margaret Doty, a retiring finance secretary, was asked to prepare a quantity of records for deposit in the Peace Collection. This was received in January 1947. After the Peace Chest was disbanded early in 1956, its remaining records were received and processed. Its work was continued in a reduced form by the Pennsylvania Branch of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom under the name of Funds for Peace and Freedom. The Fellowship of Reconciliation and the National Council for Prevention of War withdrew at that time. An additional box of material was received with the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom accession of 1966. This was processed and put with the other Untied Peace Chest materials in May 1970.
1.92 Linear Feet (23 linear in.)
The United Peace Chest of Philadelphia coordinated and integrated Philadelphia organizations interested in promoting international peace. The name was often shortened to "United Peace Chest." The UPC was founded in 1938, though it was conceptualized in 1936 at a meeting of the Pennsylvania Branch of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of United Peace Chest, 1947, 1956.
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Checklist revised by Anne Yoder, December 1997; this finding aid was prepared by Chloe Lucchesi- Malone, August 2009.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Find It at the Library
Most of the materials in this catalog are not digitized and can only be accessed in person. Please see our website for more information about visiting Swarthmore College Peace Collection Library
500 College Avenue
Swarthmore 19081-1399 USA US