Swarthmore (Pa.) -- History
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Friendly Open House was a senior citizens group founded in 1949 in Swarthmore, Pa., under the name "Older Persons Open House." In 1951, the name was changed to Friendly Open House. The group met in the Swarthmore Presbyterian Church with financial support from other local churches and organizations. The purpose was to provide stimulating programs and offer various activities and projects. The final meeting was in May 1996. An women's all-volunteer Sponsor Committee organized the program.
Contains the script, slides, VHS tape, and DVD generated from Dave Narbeth's 1975 presentation on the history of Swarthmore Borough, Pa.
Journals, correspondence, and miscellaneous papers of the Russell, Pownall and Walton families of Pennsylvania. Of particular interest is material relating to the Swarthmore Chatauqua and to Swarthmore College.
This collection of correspondence and reminiscences concerns the early history of Swarthmore College including its founding, formative years, and student life.
The Swarthmore Tree Committee was mandated by the borough of Swarthmore to fulfill the responsibilities of a Shade Tree Commission. The Tree Committee was created in 1971. The records include the mandate from the Borough of Swarthmore, minutes, and miscellaneoous papers.