Found in 12 Collections and/or Records:
Joseph C. Carter's manuscript, entitled "Philadelphia Quaker Philanthropists: Ann and George Williams," provides a brief biography of, and genealogical information for, Ann Trimble Williams and George Williams, and their involvement in early Philadelphia philanthropic societies, including the Magdalen Society.
The Cope-Evans papers cover the years 1683 to 2012, and detail the history of the inter-related Cope and Evans families, important Philadelphia-area Quakers. The papers are divided into four series: Personal and Family papers, Business papers, J. Morris Evans papers, and Miscellaneous.
William Morris Maier (1909-1982), a Haverford College graduate, was active in a wide variety of charitable organizations, especially those related to the Society of Friends. These papers consist of materials from his phlianthropic work with many organizations, including the Ludwick Institute, the Friends' Freedmen's Association, and the Emlen Institution.
This collection contains one volume of minutes from the Provident Society for Employing the Poor. It includes minutes, which are comprised of financial decisions and nominations. It also includes loose letters in the back, which mostly relate to the resolution to dissolve the organization in 1924. It also includes drafts of announcements, typed treasurer reports, and other correspondence.
The collection, primarily of correspondence of Quaker Beulah Hurley (1886-) relating principally to her relief work after World War I in Europe and Russia under the auspices of several Friends' groups and the photographs of Quaker P. Alston Waring (1895-1978) taken in Europe, East Asia, California, Central America and mainly in India between 1915 and 1954.
The Harned was a non-profit boarding home for the elderly in Moylan, PA, under the care of Media Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. It operated under the direction of The Harned Committee. It was established in 1940 through the bequest of Quaker sisters, Phebe and Katherine Harned, and laid down in 1994. The collection contains minutes and reports, admission and financial papers, and other related information.
The Underwood family was a Quaker family, of Millville, Pennsylvania, and Woodbury, New Jersey. The collection contains chiefly papers of Warner Underwood (1851-1941), Quaker businessman and philanthropist, and his wife, Tamar Eliza John Underwood (1848-1932), including personal correspondence, financial and legal records (1876) relating to a sawmill in Centre County, Pa., student copy work, memorabilia, and historical material relating to Millville.